I am new to j2ee world and altough I have gained significant therotical knowledge, I lack practical experience. Please bear with my potentially stupid questions. I am familiar with servers like Tomcat, Glassfish, Jboss (obviously cause I could download them for free to learn stuff
1. can I use the opensource version of Tomcat, Glassfish, Jboss in production applications ?
2. Are there licensed versions of these products?
3. Are there any limitations/drawbacks of using opensource in production? E.g. limitations of number of users they can support?
4. If you run into issues using these opensource servers in production, what options are there for support and do we pay for them?
5. Are there any other good open source app servers, or which ones are the best? How do you decide one is better than other?
6. If o/s run fine in production, why do people go for expensive licensed software like Websphere or Weblogic? I would guess they have some nice vendor extensions, but wouldn't a vast majority of application needs be satisfied by the standard J2ee specs?
Appreciate any response.