Win a copy of TDD for a Shopping Website LiveProject this week in the Testing forum!

Avery Jerauld

Greenhorn
+ Follow
since Aug 15, 2011
Avery likes ...
Netbeans IDE Chrome Java
Cows and Likes
Cows
Total received
0
In last 30 days
0
Total given
0
Likes
Total received
0
Received in last 30 days
0
Total given
0
Given in last 30 days
0
Forums and Threads
Scavenger Hunt
expand Ranch Hand Scavenger Hunt
expand Greenhorn Scavenger Hunt

Recent posts by Avery Jerauld

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought it would have been such an easy solution. Just another import line.

And I'll definitely have to keep what you said in mind!
10 years ago
I am almost done with my online class. I'm failing it just barely. So I need to make sure I do good on these next two units. I was given the code:





But the
ArrayList<String> schools = new ArrayList<String>();

is apparently wrong. NetBeans says "cannot find symbol". The project is I need to execute this program and then build my own array list. I'm pretty sure I can do that myself (Just replace school with something and the names with something else, maybe add or take away some of the objects) but I don't even know what's wrong with that part since I've never done an array list before. Help?
10 years ago
I've watched some of those videos over the weekend, and they are very helpful!

And as a reference to look at when I'm at school and can't watch the videos, I found this http://sepwww.stanford.edu/data/media/public/sep/jon/family/jos/oop/oop1.htm

It, too, is on the Stanford website. They're just so helpful.

But what it does is compare typing Java to writing a novel. It shows green font in what would be how it is written in a novel, red font for how the same thing would be shown in java, and brown is somewhere inbetween so you don't get lost in the transition.

What do you guys think of it? I find it very helpful.
10 years ago

Sean Brewer wrote:Hi Avery.

For Java tutorials the absolute BEST thing I have found is a free video course on programming from Stanford University. Don't worry, it is not one of those courses that expects you to know a ton of stuff upfront, it is the first in the programming series and it is designed for the complete beginner (and they have the next two courses in the series on youtube as well)... The teacher even says that the only prerequisite for the course is being able to tell the difference between a computer that is turned on and one that is turned off. LOL This teacher is amazing (and really funny too) and he has answered so many questions that I still had as an intermediate programmer myself. If you are going into the field of programming this is exactly what you need. He not only teaches Java but also how to be a good software engineer so you will save yourself a lot of headache trying to "unlearn" bad programming habits later on. I seriously cannot over hype these videos! I'm just barely over halfway through the series and I have learned so much from them already.
http://www.youtube.com/user/StanfordUniversity#g/c/84A56BC7F4A1F852



"On" means that the computer's lightbulb is on, right?
But in all seriousness, I'm going to look this up! Are the videos YouTube based (put on YouTube then posted wherever else) or does SU have their own player for it? Because YouTube is blocked at my school. Do you happen to have a link or name of the course? Because I would love to watch these!
10 years ago

Henry Wong wrote:
To choose a field, just to avoid Java, and instead face a ton of many different scripting languages, many that I consider write only languages, may not be a very good idea.



I'm not choosing this field just to avoid Java. I was just wondering how much Java would be needed to see if I'd need to learn much, much more since I'm having a very slow start at it or if it'd need little and I'd just need to restudy the basics for it. Or if it'd be a different language entirely.
10 years ago
Thanks guys. Seriously.

And I know what you guys are talking about when you say I shouldn't rush things. But I kinda have to because the instructor that doesn't teach me a thing gives me a week to learn something, implement it in a program, then write a program using whatever I am learning by myself. This is usually the part where I come here for help. Then I have to rewrite 20 review questions and answer them all.

I'm not complaining about the work, just the fact that this stuff normally interests me but when I'm rushed and have to learn it all by myself I don't pay any attention and forget about it all :/

How I've been trying to think of it is it's just another language. Kind of like learning Italian or Spanish, just with a mixture of math...

Thanks!
10 years ago
I'm just wondering if there's tutorials on this website to help me with coding. If you remember me, I'm the high school senior that's taking coding online and seriously regretting it. Not only am I not understanding it because there's no one around me that knows anything about coding and I can't find anything online put in layman's terms.

So what I'm stuck with now is what I really want to do as a career, I know nothing about. I know the absolute basics but I don't even know what each part is called. Like, I can easily make a code that will calculate any numbers for me. I've been writing math equations to java coding and vice-versa quite a bit and it works fine. But I don't know what parts are objects, classes, the difference between a "private" class and a "public" class, why I put "public static void main (String[] arg)" at the beginning of nearly piece of code I write (I assume the "String[]" part means that anything within the brackets is a giant string of coding and "arg" means "argument"... And I don't know what that means), etc. The only thing I do know is HTML and that's only thanks to social networking and being a big man on another forum that didn't always have buttons that did the HTMLing for you.

So is there anywhere on here I can find a very basic (basic as in it's easier for complete coding amateurs to understand) tutorials or can some of these things be explained for me? I swear I saw a tutorials section somewhere on here before.


Thanks so much in advance!

And sorry if I put this in the wrong section. Just seemed the most appropriate and I know the people that are regulars in this section are very helpful.

I just wish I could do this coding stuff without having to come here and feeling as if I cheated myself out of learning something I want to do later in life :/
10 years ago
Hello there.

I'm a senior in high school and taking an online class learning how to code in Java (big mistake. It's really not helping me at all and I'm barely learning a thing. This site helps me so much more) and I was just wondering if I went into a Networking career, how much Java (or coding in general) would be involved?

When I mean networking, I really am just talking about the general term "Networking". This includes setting up security systems, "professional hacker", setting up networks, and whatever else that term has to do with. I know there's more but I don't want to make a list and I'm sure you guys are more knowledgeable on this topic than I am.

Thank you!
10 years ago
You guys are all really great. I finally got it after all of you had to keep restating yourself just for me to understand. And no one got angry or anything. Thanks so much!
10 years ago
That step by step thing helped a little Fred. Except I really don't know what I did. I just took out some signs and randomly switched stuff around until I got it to display 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

But I have no idea how to square it.

My problem isn't necessarily writing the code, but it's not knowing what to write. I don't know how I'm supposed to put "square this if this is true". I have the formula and everything perfectly set, but I just don't know how to implement it into the system.



Edit:
This is what I have so far.


10 years ago

Campbell Ritchie wrote:That is what comes from coding before you have worked out the algorithm. Get some paper a pencil and an eraser (preferably a large one ) and write down how you plan to do that on paper. When you have it down to words of one syllable, then you will find it easy to turn into code.




Well I know how to do that.

Basically it's start*start=displayed answer.
Start=1
1*1=1 (which needs to be displayed)
Start+1=2
2*2=4 (which needs to be displayed)

And keep going until Start>10


My problem is the converting over to code from that.
10 years ago

Matthew Brown wrote:Another question, given yous statement of the problem: why 100 and not 10?



I put 100 because that would be the square root of 10. Would the program be reading the square or the root before it squares it? If that makes any sense.

Matthew Brown wrote:anyway, what your current code is doing is multiplying all the squares of numbers between 0 and 99 inclusive, and writing out the final answer. However, since you start with zero, and 0*anything is still zero, the final answer is always going to be zero.



Whenever I run the test with it as (done =1; done <=10; done++) it just says that the square is 0.
10 years ago

You will run two small labs using the statements; discuss the attributes of the programs; and write your own program using the for-or while statements. This lab is part of your discussion grade for the unit.

Write a program that squares the numbers from 1 to 10 using a for or while statement. Afterwards, print the results to the screen. Discuss how you used the statements learned in the lab to complete your program in the discussion box for this unit.





That second part is what I need help on. I had this in another thread but we got side tracked and did something else and was recommended on making another thread. So this is that thread. Here is what I have:




I honestly have no clue what I'm doing. The "<=0144" is there because NetBeans decided that was better than "<=100". This probably looks like a bunch of stupid mistakes but I have no idea what to do. Help?
10 years ago
That worked John. I just changed it to next instead of nextLine. Now the program works perfectly! Now I just have to go and finish the original problem with the for or while statement used to square all number up to 10. Ugh.
10 years ago
I emailed my teacher about it and he said he made a typo. Oh my god.

Here's the assignment. Er, how it SHOULD be.

Lab 5 Project





Objective



Students will be able to Compute A Raise


Overview

The program below, Salary.java, inputs an employee's salary and a rating of the employee's performance and computes the raise for the employee. The three possible ratings are "Excellent", "Good", and "Poor". An employee who is rated excellent will receive a 6% raise, one rated good will receive a 4% raise, and one rated poor will receive a 1.5% raise.� Add the if... else... statements to program Salary to make it run as described above. Submit your code to the lab drop box

for this unit.








I've gotten it to this so far but for some reason it won't let me enter in the rating of Excellent, Good, or Poor. It tells me "Enter the performance rating (Excellent, Good, or Poor):" but then it just jumps straight to showing my the current salary I entered, a raise of 0.00, and the new salary (which is the same as the old one).

10 years ago