Good day ALCON,
I have just passed 1Z0-819 OCP Java SE 11 Developer with 87%.
I have been working “on” and “off” on Java since Java 5. Programming is my passion but it doesn't provide me bread and butter.. I worked on Java FX, JSP, Servlet and Springboots. The prior knowledge and Master in IT more than i and half decade ago helped me to pass OCA 8 around two years ago with 75% but this exam required more knowledge of additional and latest topics in Java. Initially, I was all set for OCP 8 but I changed my mind since new version of exam 1z0-819 hit the market.
Please find below the feedback for those are planning to take test in the near future.
Preparation steps :
• I studied through Sybex OCP SE 11 Complete Study Guide through the following fashion
You can skip the basic topics but I wanted to brush off my coding skills because it was a while to pass OCA 8. I went through summary and review questions.
• I underlined important concept and enclose definations with pencil. It greatly helped me todo quick review.
• I put sticky tabs on pages having "bullet points", "tables" and each topic summary pages.
• I studied all study refence material provided by enthuware. It is concise brief and to the point.
• I studied the supplemental material on doPrivileged() from Scott's blog
• I learned through muscle memory (coding) and teaching others (making youtube video for each topic). So, I prepared for exam concurrently. First, I studied a topic, tried out all review questions from book, read relevant study material from enthuware, use Leitner mode to attempt all questions for a topic and made youtube video https://studio.youtube.com/channel/UCZC5KfHgb_nQVedKY0MMhLw
I will keep my enthusiasm high and complete my youtube video series to help others for 1z0-819 exam preparation.
I reviewed all marked tabs on pages (having tables, bullet points and summaries) form Sybex OCP book and study reference material from enthuware in a span of five days before exam.
I would suggest 2 tests of each topics with 5 mock exams if you do not have time.
I am a night owl. so, I made sure to sleep well before the exam. I am usually lazy in morning so I checked my equipment and set up my living room before I went to bed.
Few notes about the exam itself :
• questions and difficulty level were similar to Enthuware's studio (I wish I had more time to do all of them and score higher)
• The OCP exam page setp is quite different than OCA. There were three tabs on bottom right.
1) -> forward
2) <- Back
3) [.] Review – (show ONLY marked questions which is opposite to the enthuware studio.
• There were two tabs on Top right
1) End Exam
2) Mark - It for questions you need to comeback from review tab.
At the end I went to review tab and navigated through marked questions to check if I were missing anything.
• You cannot strike option in the exam as we had in OCA.
• If the question takes more than 20 second to answer then I marked it first and moved forward to come back latter. I advise Pluck low hanging fruits first then go for higher ones.
• There was a question on CallableStatement in JDBC. It had CREATE table and stored procedure statements then a call to setObject with three parameters method by statement object. I selected it wrong.
• I had three questions on module.
naming of non-modularized jar file in the module-info.java (Remember discard all versions with jar files and change minus signs to dots(.) ).
The right use of directives in the service provider API. (Remember provider provides service.)
The right use of SeviceLoader class. (Remember, it returns iterator.)
• I had two questions on security topic - Denial of service (Leak resource, constructing sensitive objects)
• Time given for each question is crucial. You have to pace faster than usual. Keep checking clock. first, I peek through answers to know what the question is more likely to ask. I didn’t have any time to review questions. When I mind solved my last question, I had 5 seconds remaining. I prolong exhaled and test ended by itself.
• I got instant result upon completion.
• After result, they had given me an option to initiate a trouble call to VUE pearson if test was ended catastrophically (computer crash, click end exam by mistake) and send feedback. This is a minimum 100 minutes test not 90 minutes. Please mention in your reviews for the test.
Good luck on your exam !