Jason Edwards

Greenhorn
+ Follow
since Apr 26, 2021
Cows and Likes
Cows
Total received
0
In last 30 days
0
Total given
0
Likes
Total received
1
Received in last 30 days
0
Total given
2
Given in last 30 days
1
Forums and Threads
Scavenger Hunt
expand Ranch Hand Scavenger Hunt
expand Greenhorn Scavenger Hunt

Recent posts by Jason Edwards

Tim Moores wrote:I haven't used it, but it sounds like the Sumup app does it all for you. So maybe you don't need to do anything (assuming you're talking about accepting payments at the POS).

If you want to accept payment in your own app, you can integrate Paypal or Google Billing.



Thanks, That makes a lot more sense, till system with a separate payment system for cards.
Yes I want to build a till app you could use in a small business or yard sales etc. (POS)



3 weeks ago
Hi JavaRanch,
For experience, I would like to Develop this application. Is there a java library that can handle payment requests with something like a SUMUP AIR READER (Air Contactless Reader).
How secure can I make this?

Thanks for any advice.

3 weeks ago

Jason Edwards wrote:Hi Mike Simmons,
Thanks for looking over my code and giving me some help.

Well, perhaps the first thing to do is compile and run your program - you will see that it does compile, which is good, and then you get an error message when you run it - which may or may not have been intentional, if you were testing what happens for different input values.
I was paying around with inputs, testing my code and checking the errors.

My IntelliJ shows "import kotlin.random.Random" greyed out - you don't need it.  Maybe it was needed in some older version of Kotlin.  But nowadays Random is directly available without that.
My workplace is quiet for the next 2 weeks. So I was using https://play.kotlinlang.org/ to build the app(spent about 3 hours on the code)


IntelliJ also shows messages indicating that each of your var declarations can actually be a val, since you never reassign a variable to be something else.  This is good practice - use val rather than var whenever you can, to minimize unexpected changes.  If you need something to be a var, fine, make it a var.  But don't do it if you don't need it.
Will do from now on.

You seem to be doing the same thing several different ways. The one I like best is this one:


I really like this code but from what I can tell, its read only!, you can print the full list or an element, looked online for random list but could not find any post talking about .sorted() or .forEach({print("$it ")})
so moved the numbers over to an array I could sort and edit the list.

Thank you for the help.
I really enjoy reading code like this, makes perfect sense.











1 month ago
Hi Mike Simmons,
Thanks for looking over my code and giving me some help.

Mike Simmons wrote:Well, perhaps the first thing to do is compile and run your program - you will see that it does compile, which is good, and then you get an error message when you run it - which may or may not have been intentional, if you were testing what happens for different input values.


I was paying around with inputs, testing my code and checking the errors.

Mike Simmons wrote:My IntelliJ shows "import kotlin.random.Random" greyed out - you don't need it.  Maybe it was needed in some older version of Kotlin.  But nowadays Random is directly available without that.


My workplace is quiet for the next 2 weeks. So I was using https://play.kotlinlang.org/ to build the app(spent about 3 hours on the code)


Mike Simmons wrote:IntelliJ also shows messages indicating that each of your var declarations can actually be a val, since you never reassign a variable to be something else.  This is good practice - use val rather than var whenever you can, to minimize unexpected changes.  If you need something to be a var, fine, make it a var.  But don't do it if you don't need it.


Will do from now on.

Mike Simmons wrote:You seem to be doing the same thing several different ways. The one I like best is this one:



I really like this code but from what I can tell, its read only!, you can print the full list or an element, looked online for random list but could not find any post talking about .sorted() or .forEach({print("$it ")})
so moved the numbers over to an array I could sort and edit the list.

Thank you for the help.
I really enjoy reading code like this, makes perfect sense.

Mike Simmons wrote:(1..maxNumber).shuffled().take(totalNumbers).sorted().forEach({print("$it ")})











1 month ago
Any small challenges like making a small app in kotlin would be really helpful, I have been trying to build a small program that you can pick a few random numbers, don't repeat any numbers and prints the numbers in order ( 1..150)
Is this code effective and how could I improve the code?

import kotlin.random.Random

fun main(args: Array<String>) {
 
   /** Random number picker with no repeating numbers.
    * will display them in number order.
    * Random numbers upto 150.
    * Upto 150 numbers balls.
    *
    * randomList(max number int 1..) ( how many numbers/ balls)
**/
   randomList( 27, 30)
    }


    fun randomList(maxNumber : Int, totalNumbers : Int){
    if (totalNumbers > 150){
        print("please pick a lower number")
       }else if (totalNumbers > maxNumber){
            print("maxNumber has to be same or higher than totalNumbers")
               }else{  
       
   var list = mutableListOf<Int>()
   var totalNumbersMinus1 = totalNumbers-1
 
    var randomList = (1..maxNumber).shuffled().take(totalNumbers)
     for(I in 0..totalNumbersMinus1){
     
    var number = randomList[I]
 
   list.add(number)
  }
 list.sort()
 for(I in 0..totalNumbersMinus1){
     print("${list[I]} ")
     }
   }
   
 }
1 month ago

Hugge Nilsson wrote:Yes Jason it's not completely my code but I use it as a base to get all the functions. I'm still an absolute beginner.



If your absolute beginner, you need to start from the beginning, I would start off with this course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRyvNKRkwbs
I have been building apps on android studio for a few years, If you get stuck let me know and I will do my best to help.








1 month ago

Hugge Nilsson wrote:Thank you! And how do I add that to a Listview in the other activity. I can't wrap my head around it


Your welcome Hugge Nilsson.
Just wondering, have you developed android Applications on Android Studio?

As you need code for the GUI (xml), and Java/Kotlin code for the back end. The code you put up looks like a coffee app built in Java code, only as a test( online android course).

For Android development, most developers are moving over to kotlin, its faster and and easier to work with.





1 month ago


To move a string from 1 activity to another,



1 month ago
hi all,
(commit 5) Improved the code, put a few comments for easy reading
(commit 6) removed most the code, looked into Concepts of OOP Languages(starts about 1 hour in), and I must say, I am very happy going from Java to Kotlin so far.
feels like you can build the same apps with less code, been writing some code and seeing what I can do.
Took me about 1 hour to build the app and fix all the bugs.
Its a lotto lucky dip to pick your numbers.






1 month ago
So far I have 4 commits:
First one, is the blank activity and java class.
Second one is a basic kotlin hello world app.
Third one's a toast message when you click the button.
Fourth one, counts the button clicks and displays it to the textview.
1 month ago
Hi all,
I have started going through the tutorial and put my code up on github.(https://github.com/JasonEdwardesUk/FollowAndroidTutorialWithKotlin). Often I use Linearlayout, only program in code, never use android studio layout editor.






1 month ago

Campbell Ritchie wrote:

Jason Edwards wrote:. . . move my posts to the android section . . . .

Done. Complete with spelling mistake in thread title.


Thanks Campbell.
1 month ago

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Welcome to the Ranch

Use the new topic button towards the upper right.
Did you write that tutorial yourself? I don't have the time to go through it.



Thanks Campbell Ritchie, could you move my posts to the android section as a new thread?

It's not my tutorial, just looks up-to-date and a good tutorial on YouTube, I would like to use github and push myself to write clean short code. Would be great to help other developers and inturn they can make comments about my code.
1 month ago
Hello Coderanch, I can see this thread is a month old but it has a good title, and I don't know how to start my own thread.

Have been using android studio for the last 4 years and really enjoy building applications in my spare time( have a young demanding family and a full time job(in catering) so only spending 5-10 hours a week on coding).

Love using java to develop applications but kotlin looks more productive in the long run.

This course on YouTube looks great  (https://youtu.be/uRyvNKRkwbs )

Does anyone want to join me on this course over the next month?


1 month ago